The Florida Catastrophic Storm Risk Management Center was created by the Florida Legislature in 2007. Housed within the Department of Risk Management/Insurance, Real Estate & Legal Studies in the College of Business at Florida State University, the center supports the state's ability to prepare for, respond to and recover from catastrophic storms.
Specifically, the center:
- Coordinates and disseminates research efforts that are expected to have an immediate impact on policy and practices related to catastrophic storm preparedness
- Coordinates and disseminates information related to catastrophic storm risk management, including but not limited to research and information that benefits businesses, consumers and public policymakers
- Facilitates Florida's preparedness and responsiveness to catastrophic storms and collaborates with other public and private institutions
- Creates and promotes studies that enhance the educational options available to risk management and insurance students
- Publishes and disseminates findings primarily related to risk management
- Organizes and sponsors conferences, symposia and workshops to educate consumers and policymakers